Book Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Spoiler Free)



I'm not exactly sure how to review this book, as it's more of a phenomenon, really. I can tell you this, it took me three weeks to get through it, and I'm normally a pretty fast reader. Maybe it's like how when you like a TV show enough to watch it, you set it up on TIVO, and then the network cancels it after you're already six episodes behind. What do you do? You certainly don't continue watching it.

Delete.

This is not to say that Deathly Hallows wasn't a great read, it's not to say it was either--It could have benefited from a little editing (it totally dragged in the middle, don't try to say it didn't). What was awesome about it was J.K. Rowling's resolve to end this juggernaut of a series with a bang. It's no secret that characters die in this one; but--Jesus--did they die. And, she totally pulled together everything from the previous books, nice and tight.

So that's it. After all the hype, the controversy over spoilers and manuscripts leaking out like diaper overflow, it's over (except for the next two movies). I can't say I have a feeling of loss, or any feelings at all, and oddly I'm not left wanting more, either.

Next Book: Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Caseyby Chuck Palahniuk

Comments