Book Review: The Dead Father's Club by Matt Haig



I was hesitant to invest much time in what I initially thought was a Curious Incident clone, so you can imagine my surprise: I absolutely loved Matt Haig's The Dead Fathers Club. As an update of Hamlet from a child's perspective, the book is spot on. The prose is conversational and accurate to kidspeak. It's quite an accomplishment.

The story is familiar, son's uncle kills his father, then marries mother, accidental murder occurs––it's Hamlet. What is not familiar is the author's ability to make you forget you know what's coming. The ghosts of the murdered vs. psychiatric problems issue is played out for creepy effect.

If this were North Dakota I'd say it was super good. I'll say it anyway.

Next Book:The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore. The obsession continues, despite a refusal for an advance quote, I might add. That's commitment.

Comments