Book Review: Bitten by Kelley Armstrong



The first book in Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series, Bitten is a werewolf thriller and literary fantasy rolled up into an okay read (it's an urban fantasy, of course, but that title seems to encompass so much). Ms. Armstrong must admire Anne Rice a great deal, to focus so much on history and detail of the packs. I guess I expected something else.

Here's the distinction.

Werewolves that stalk on two feet: Horror.
Werewolves that stalk on four: Literary Fiction.

I have nothing against literary fiction, per se. Some of my favorite books are LF. But you have to be in the mood. I'm not sure a fan of the urban fantasy genre would be excited about this one.

That said. Bitten is well written and employs some beautiful prose. It drags a bit in the middle, and lingers a bit too long on werewolf societal rules. But, I'm not sorry I read it.

Next Review:Carpe Demon: Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom by Julie Kenner. Note: after spending way too much time on the revision, it seems the three books on my list are coming due. I'll read the one's I bought after this, and Mark Del Franco's Unshapely Things.

Comments